When Melaka was under the Portuguese naturally the foreigners and locals intermarried and by 16th and 17th centuries there was a thriving mixed community. In 1933 a patch of swampy near the sea was cleared and ten wooden houses, with attap roofs, were established for this community. The new fishing village drew more of this mixed race from other parts of Malaysia and quickly expanded the original group. It is a pity so little has been preserved today of the buildings and culture. However, the popular seafood restaurants draw locals and tourists alike. In June, the Arts Festival attracts around 100,000 visitors.